Pages

Tuesday, 15 August 2017

Review - The World's Wife by Carol Ann Duffy

Picador
2010

Synopsis (from Amazon) - That saying? Behind every famous man . . . ? From Mrs Midas to Queen Kong, from Elvis’s twin sister to Pygmalion’s bride, they’re all here, in Carol Ann Duffy’s inspired and inspirational collection, The World’s Wife. Witty and thought-provoking, this is a tongue-in-cheek, no-holds-barred look at the real movers and shakers across history, myth and legend. If you have ever wondered, for example, how exactly Darwin came up with his theory of evolution, or what, precisely, Frau Freud thought about her husband – then this is the book for you, as the wives of the great, the good, the not so good, and the legendary are given a voice in Carol Ann Duffy’s sparkling and inventive collection.




I don’t read poetry very often, in fact I have hardly read any since finishing university. However, Carol Ann Duffy has stuck with me ever since reading some of her poems whilst studying for my A-levels. So I bought this collection, I remember reading some years ago and utterly loving them. I sat down the other morning, coffee in one hand and this book in the other, and I did not put down the book until I had finished. An hour later, I had read the whole lot, and was completely enthralled. Duffy’s writing is brilliant, she is so clever, witty, and hilarious. I can not recommend this collection of poetry enough.

Like I said I don’t read a lot of poetry, but this collection is definitely my favourite, and Duffy is absolutely my new favourite poet. I really enjoyed the feminist perspective of some of History’s fictional and real men. I also enjoyed the variety of poems, some short and witty, some long and thought provoking. Also the variety of stories, from Greek Mythology to Bible stories, to Fairytales, to important men of History. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys feminism, poetry or humour. Some of my favourites include ‘Mrs Darwin’, ‘Anne Hathaway’, ‘Mrs Quasimodo’, ‘Medusa’, ‘Frau Freud’  and ‘Mrs Beast.’

No comments:

Post a Comment